Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My Friends Are Dorks

I have a few friends (more than a few, actually) who are avid poker players. The recent popularity of televised Hold-em tournaments has only served to further fuel their passion for the game. They play a regular game every other Wednesday. Over the years, the game has gotten more and more sophisticated and we (royal we, I mean they) are now to the point where custom tables are being purchased and a dedicated gaming hall is being built at a friends place of business.

I had this piece of scrap left over from the pictureframe project and didnt know what I was going to do with it. It is basically an 8' bubinga 2x4.



I had thought to make it into another smaller frame, but there really wasnt enough stock to do anything or reasonable size. I stumbled across a picture of a poker chip rack on TWW and thought chip trays would be a great use of this scrap. Google quiclky turned up a design similar to Marc's.

Since the process for making them is already laid out, I will not repeat it here. I will say that my goal was to make 3 sets in 2 hours and this is how far I got.



The most time consuming part of this whole thing is drilling the large holes that comprise the channels in each tray. I bet I spent an hour doing just that and I still have one more group to go. I also have a very large pile of bubinga shavings around the base of my drill press.

I plan to complete them this evening. I'll let you know the total time to complete - it's a good quick project for your friends who love poker. I'm sure you have some.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of your friends with a bluer collar has a brother who likes to pitch washers. Please price up a washerboard for me. His birthday is tomorrow. (The boards shown in link are covered in astroturf, but maybe you can think of an alternative).

http://www.thewasherboardco.com/