Saturday, February 16, 2008

Thank God for Tivo

I have been gripping over exactly how I was going to cut this mortise in the 45 degree angled surface at the end of the aprons for the hourglass table. My foray into poker chip racks was really just my postponing the cut I had no idea how to make. Then, Tivo saved my sanity.

I have my Tivo set to record Woodworks every weekend and lo and behold, this weekend David Marks was working on a project where he made this exact cut. Here is my adaptation of his method--i built a jig that would hold the apron stock at 45 degrees to the routerbase.

First step is to create a box that can house the apron stock at an angle and accomodate a top that sits parallel to the floor. here is its skeleton, with the top removed.



Here is the entire jig with one of the aprons clamped into place.



The box is not a snug fit for the apron stock, so I wedge it onto place to keep everything square and stable.



And here is a view looking down through the opening in the top of the table at the mortise that is about to be cut. if you look closely, you can see where the mortise has been marked out.



Now cutting the mortise is as simple as using an edge guided router to make the plunge cut. I took special care to make certain that the reference edge of the top is square to the sides of the box, and therefore ultimately square to the piece being cut. Here is the setup:



And here is the result:



For those that are interested, here is David Marks method

No comments: