Sunday, January 20, 2008

Hourglass Table Concept


Here is a concept for a table I am going to build for my wife. She saw a picture in a magazine and i thought I could build it so i am going to give it a shot. I just got a new bandsaw and figured I could put it to good use. I plan to taper the planar faces of each leg using a thickness planer and a tapered sled.

I think the apron is too tall in this mock up. I will probably reduce it by around 40% to make the table feel lighter. I may incorporate a drawer too. The main construction challenge I see is attaching the aprons to the legs--they meet at a 45 degree angle and cutting the joinery will be a challenge.

I'll let you know how this one goes...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excuse my ignorance on this subject: It appears that each side panel has one leg showing at the top of the leg, in other words, one panel does not show two legs coming though to meet the table top - if that makes any sense. I wonder if this a modern or antique design convention.
Also I wonder if the curvature of the leg, in theory, supports more or less weight than stright legs, when four are joined together.

Brian said...

i do not know from what period the leg design dates. I can say my wife saw a table similar to this one in a magazine from August 2005, so it is at least that old.