Thursday, January 17, 2008

Houston, We have a Problem


Well, I put in a lot of handwork smoothing the cove of the pictureframe. The Cove looks great, but the inlays dont. Once I planed them down to be level with the frame, I discovered that the Cocobolo was not quite as dark as I had hoped it would be. There is not enough contrast between the Bubunga and the Cocobolo for the inlay to dramatically stand out, as you can see in the picture above.

I have cut some strips of Ebony I will use to replace the Cocobolo, but i have to get the Cocobolo out of there first. I have screwed the frame pieces to a piece of scrap MDF and I am going to recut the dados with my router.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cocobolo changes color over time. Put the frame in sunlight, and in a few months you will have a much, much darker wood.

Really nice work. Thanks for sharing.